Senior Backend Developer
We are currently looking for a Senior Backend Developer to join our team in London.
At Idean we believe that businesses need to simultaneously transform their business of today while building their business of tomorrow. We combine design, technology and business smarts to help organisations do just this. We create products, services and businesses from scratch as well as transforming things that already exist from the ground up.
We’re a team of 80+ business designers, service designers, researchers, UX, UI and visual designers, and engineers and technologists in the UK and part of a network of global studios. We’re helping clients launch Beta Businesses and challenging existing setups for clients in Telco, Energy, Financial Services and Retail.
More about the role
This is a unique opportunity to be a part of this new cohort of engineers in the company.
In this Senior Backend Developer role you will be responsible for all aspects of solution development, including the overall design of the solution, the technical architecture and the code quality. We will provide you will a brilliant learning ground - the opportunity to experience a variety of work and the coaching of our senior team. And we’re one of the few consultancies delivering products to the market!
You’ll work across all stages of the product lifecycle: from inception, to proof of concept, to full build and then launch in market. The scope of our work and sectors is also as varied, ranging from building entire beta businesses to creating brand new mobile apps, within the biggest players across the telecoms, banking, travel and utilities industries, amongst many others. You’ll also work closely with our broader team of Designers, Strategists, Senior Developers, Technologists, and QA’s to get to a fantastic result.
- Work with a lot of different technologies. We don’t have a set stack, although we lean towards open source frameworks and cloud services that let us get stuff done quickly. We’ve recently done some awesome work with React, Node.js and Ruby and Rails
Deliver value to our clients as quickly as possible. In tech terms, this means we get stuff built and shipped and into customers hands as fast as we can. We’re not a team of perfectionists, and although we value good quality code highly, we’re a team of do-ers and shippers
Work within a multi-skilled technology team consisting of Senior Developers, Mobile Developers and QA’s. However, we build teams around projects and each project team is multi-disciplinary and made up of Product Strategists, Service Designers, Product Designers and Developers
- Spend time reflecting on the work we’re doing and how we’re doing it. You’ll be an integral part of the development team and will help define “what good looks like” for the work we do. We’re an agile organisation with a strong culture of feedback and self-improvement.
Solid knowledge of Ruby and Rails. We do a lot of work with Ruby, and would be looking for someone with great experience in working with it
An eye for detail and passion to make what we create shine. Our products have got to be functionally correct and they’ve also got to look good
Passion and curiosity for the web and technology. We want to push ourselves and we want to stay current. Infectious enthusiasm is a bonus!
- Excellent communication and will enjoy working in teams. We’re a highly collaborative bunch and recognise that teams, not individuals, ship products. We’re all responsible for the quality of the code and the success of the project.
- Generous and competitive salary (they're benchmarked and we're proud)
- Company pension contribution of 6%
- Discretionary team bonus scheme
- AXA healthcare cover
- 25 days of holidays, plus additional days off at Christmas (we close between Christmas Day and New Years Day)
- A tiered parental leave policy
- Access to our Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexible working programmes. Many of the team have other things that they are involved in and we're on a mission to design a place to work where this is encouraged and supported. There is no one model to fit all so feel free to talk to us about what you need
- Individual training budget for personal development (you'll have money to attend conferences, buy books, crash courses, in addition to our company-wide activities and spend)
- Communities of Practice meetups every week. Connect with your team or join other teams to share interesting things, seek out feedback, and work on side projects together
- Social events every month. We've been locked in a room with a zombie, gone climbing, held a terrarium workshop, brewed our own beer, learnt magic, and tried our hand at screenprinting
- Quarterly company days. We take ourselves out of the studio regularly. It's our time together to learn, prioritise plans and make sure everyone is involved in where we are going. It's also just a lot of fun.
If this is the kind of gig and company you like the sound of we’d love to hear from you!
You must be legally authorised to work in the UK without restrictions.
Please do not apply for more than one job or location. If you wish to be considered for more than one studio please include this in a cover letter.