We’re currently hiring Midweight Product Designers to join our team in London.
Idean is a global design studio, operating in the realms of design, technology and business. At about 90 here in London, we’re a curious and caring mix of thinkers, makers and doers. We believe that companies need to transform their business of today while building their business of tomorrow. We create products, services and Beta Businesses from scratch as well as transforming things that already exist from the ground up. Idean is a part of Capgemini Invent, and some of our projects are joint efforts with our extended family and some are Idean solo teams.
Idean is a place where you can make real change at a truly enormous scale. We work with some of the biggest and most-exciting businesses across all sorts of industries – so if you care about impact, this is a place where you can make it. We’re helping clients launch Beta Businesses and challenging existing setups in Telco, Energy, Financial Services and Retail, amongst other sectors. One of these new businesses, SMARTY, recently became the best-rated mobile network on Trustpilot. Not bad for a baby business. Our team has written a bunch of articles about their work and life here at Idean over on our blog.
We take on projects of many shapes and sizes. They can be short or long, depending on the scope. And they can sometimes involve some travel to see clients and users. However right now, like most companies around the world, we’re embracing remote working and this has become a fixed way of working for us. Our studio has slowly started to re-open for those who'd like to spend time there but our plan is to develop a hybrid model, where some purposeful in-person working will sit alongside continued remote working. This means that to work at Idean UK your fixed place of residence must be in or around London (although we appreciate you might be elsewhere right now).
More about the role
You’ll be responsible for delivering against our multidisciplinary approach to designing and launching products, services and businesses - some of the bravest projects our clients have ever launched. You’ll also be a part of advancing our approach, helping to grow our culture, and partnering with and inspiring our clients.
Our design team is an incredibly talented bunch of hybrids and this is something we embrace. The team consists of people with a background in research, UX, UI, visual design, and brand. We know that unicorns don’t exist but we do like hybrid designers who span multiple areas of product design, often with particular strength in one or two of these areas, and especially those who have been a part of teams who have launched products to market, or who have worked on products in-market. We’re flexible about what your experience is and appreciate that at this level you will still be exploring and building up your core set of skills.
- Support the delivery of complex service and product design projects
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams to design, prototype and build cutting-edge propositions and products
- Deliver quality design work and inspire the client towards these standards
- Facilitate experiments and design sprints
- Contribute to advancing Idean’s design approach
- Collaborate with clients to successfully influence long-lasting change
- Take an active interest in our product design Community of Practice and industry and regularly share your work and ideas with the broader team and community.
More about this level
As a midweight at Idean you are given the space to learn and explore different areas of expertise while contributing to the success of a team and project. This is typically a time when you have an emerging set of practice skills and we want you to explore these. You will play a hands-on role in the delivery of project activities and deliverables, e.g. workshops, presentations and feedback sessions, and your outputs will also include high quality work for your given practice with support and guidance from more senior practitioners. Throughout this you will build strong working relationships with clients and your teams, and we would want you to contribute to creating a supportive, caring and fun team environment and culture. You will identify ways to work on your personal development and actively participate in your Community of Practice and efforts across the studio.
- Experience of getting involved in multiple stages of the product and service design process, from initial analysis, workshops, sketches, ideas and concepts through to user research, prototyping and the final delivery of designs
- Some experience of facilitating workshops, design sprints and ideation sessions
- Ideally some experience of taking a product to market by working closely with developers and optimising the performance of that product over time through testing and iteration
- A combination of experience across designing for mobile and web user-focused applications, as well as denser, information-rich interfaces
- A focus on process and proof. Testing and iterating must be an inherent part of your approach
- Information architecture, prototyping, personas and storytelling, behavioural economics, and/or ethnographic research experience would be nice to have
- The drive to deliver great work
- A natural curiosity to learn from those around you and to seek out opportunities
- The instinct to ask regular questions and approach your team to discuss challenges along the way
- Comfort participating in sessions with clients
- Buckets of positivity and a “can do” attitude.
Don’t worry about being a 100% fit. That’s impossible nonsense, anyway. If this sounds like an interesting opportunity to you, and you think it could work, let’s chat.
What to expect from our application process
Standard stuff, really. First, we'll take a look at your application and you’ll hear from us within a couple of weeks. If you look like a possible fit for the role, then we’ll invite you to have a remote chat with someone from our Talent team. After that, there will be two remote interviews with people from the team you’re applying to, perhaps with a task (depending on the role you’re applying for). There are no robots screening CVs here, so we apologise if it takes a little longer than expected.
A challenging, creative and supportive working environment is important to us. We’ve put a lot of thought into how we work, and how we grow and support our team. Our policies on inclusive behaviours, mental health and parental responsibilities, and more, are designed to work for our people. While we strive to be as inclusive and forward-thinking as humanly possible, we also know we can always do better. The point is, we’re keen to talk about and accommodate any need that helps you get good work done while enjoying a quality work-life balance.
- Competitive salary
- Company pension contribution of 6%
- Group Income Protection
- Life Assurance
- AXA Healthcare self cover
- 25 days of holidays, plus additional days off at Christmas (we close between Christmas Day and New Years Day)
- A tiered parental leave policy, which offers 12 or 18-weeks maternity full pay and 4-weeks partner full pay (dependant on your tenure)
- Access to our Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexible working programmes. There is no one model to fit all so feel free to talk to us about what you need
- Community of Practice get-togethers and a weekly studio lunch and learn
- Weekly Company Updates and social events, all remote right now
- Quarterly Company Days. We take ourselves out of our day-to-day regularly. It's our time together to learn, create plans and make sure everyone is involved in where we are going. It's also just a lot of fun.
You must be legally authorised to work in the UK without restrictions. Please do not apply for more than one job or location. If you wish to be considered for more than one studio please include this in a cover letter.