Midweight Frontend Developer
We’re currently looking for Midweight Frontend Developers to join our team in London.
Idean is a global design studio, operating in the realms of design, technology and business. At about 90 here in London, we’re a curious and caring mix of thinkers, makers and doers. We believe that companies need to transform their business of today while building their business of tomorrow. We create products, services and Beta Businesses from scratch as well as transforming things that already exist from the ground up. Idean is a part of Capgemini Invent, and some of our projects are joint efforts with our extended family and some are Idean solo teams.
Idean is a place where you can make real change at a truly enormous scale. We work with some of the biggest and most-exciting businesses across all sorts of industries – so if you care about impact, this is a place where you can make it. We’re helping clients launch Beta Businesses and challenging existing setups in Telco, Energy, Financial Services and Retail, amongst other sectors. One of these new businesses, SMARTY, recently became the best-rated mobile network on Trustpilot. Not bad for a baby business.
We take on projects of many shapes and sizes. They can be short or long, depending on the scope. And they can often involve working outside of the studio and travelling to different locations, in and around London or elsewhere in the UK. If you cannot travel please speak to us about this.
Idean is a place where you’ll meet lots of brainy people passionate about doing some of the best work of their lives. We also believe this can be done whilst having a laugh together and going home on time. Our team have written a bunch of articles about their work and life here at Idean over on our blog.
More about the role
As a Midweight Developer you’ll be responsible for working across all aspects of solution development, including the overall design of the solution, the technical architecture and the code quality. We will provide you with a brilliant learning ground - the opportunity to experience a variety of work and coaching from our senior team. And we’re one of the few consultancies delivering products to the market!
You’ll work across all stages of the product life cycle: from inception, to proof of concept, to full build, and then launch in market. The scope of our work and sectors is also as varied, ranging from building entire Beta Businesses to creating brand new mobile apps, within the biggest players across the telecoms, banking, travel and utilities industries, amongst many others. You’ll also work closely with our broader team of Designers, Product Managers, Technologists and QA’s to get to a fantastic result.
- Work with some different technologies. We don’t have a set stack, although we lean towards open source frameworks and cloud services that let us get stuff done quickly. We’ve recently done some awesome work with React, Node.js and Ruby andRails
- Deliver value to our clients, together with our wider team who will support you. In tech terms, this means we get stuff built and shipped and into customers hands as fast as we can. We’re not a team of perfectionists, and although we value good quality code highly, we’re a team of do-ers and shippers
- Work within a multi-skilled technology team and broader project team
- Spend time reflecting on the work we’re doing and how we’re doing it. You’ll be an integral part of the development team and will help define “what good looks like” for the work we do. We’re an agile organisation with a strong culture of feedback and self-improvement.
We’re flexible about what your experience is and appreciate that at this level you will still be exploring and building up your core set of skills.
More about this level
As a midweight at Idean you are given the space to learn and explore different areas of expertise while contributing to the success of a team and project. This is typically a time when you have an emerging set of practice skills and we want you to explore these. You will play a hands-on role in the delivery of project activities and deliverables, e.g. workshops, presentations and feedback sessions, and your outputs will also include high quality work for your given practice with support and guidance from more senior practitioners. Throughout this you will build strong working relationships with clients and your teams, and we would want you to contribute to creating a supportive, caring and fun team environment and culture. You will identify ways to work on your personal development and actively participate in your Community of Practice and efforts across the studio.
- An eye for detail and passion to make what we create shine. Our products have got to be functionally correct and they’ve also got to look good
- Passion and curiosity for the web and technology. We want to push ourselves and we want to stay current
- Ideally some experience of working with API’s and integrating with backends. Most of the products we create integrate with multiple services, including backends we write
- Great communication skills. We’re a highly collaborative bunch and recognise that teams, not individuals, ship products. We’re all responsible for the quality of the code and the success of the project
- The drive to deliver great work
- A natural curiosity to learn from those around you and to seek out opportunities
- The instinct to ask regular questions and approach your team to discuss challenges along the way
- Comfort participating in sessions with clients
- Buckets of positivity and a “can do” attitude.
Don’t worry about being a 100% fit. That’s impossible nonsense, anyway. If this sounds like an interesting opportunity to you, and you think it could work, let’s chat.
What to expect from our application process
Standard stuff, really. First, we'll take a look at your application and you’ll hear from us within a couple of weeks. If you look like a possible fit for the role, then we’ll invite you to have a chat, in-person or on the phone. After that, there will be two interviews, perhaps with a task, depending on the role you’re applying for. There are no robots screening CVs here, so we apologise if it takes a little longer than expected.
A challenging, creative and supportive working environment is important to us. We’ve put a lot of thought into our studio space and how we grow and support our team. Our policies on mental health and parental responsibilities, and more, are designed to work for our people. While we strive to be as inclusive and forward-thinking as humanly possible, we also know we can always do better. The point is, we’re keen to talk about and accommodate any need that helps you get good work done while enjoying a quality work-life balance.
- Competitive salary
- Company pension contribution of 6%
- AXA private medical insurance, which includes Stronger Minds mental health support
- Group Income Protection (50% level cover)
- Life Assurance (2x level cover)
- 25 days of holidays, plus additional days off during some of the winter holiday season (we close between Christmas Day and New Years Day), as well as bank holidays of course
- A tiered parental leave policy, which offers 12 or 18 weeks maternity full-pay and 4 weeks partner full-pay (dependant on your tenure)
- Access to our Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexible working programmes. There is no one model to fit all so feel free to talk to us about what you need
- Individual training budget for personal development
- Community of Practice get-togethers
- Healthy snacks and drinks in the studio, plus team lunch on a Friday
- All sorts of different social events, inside and outside of the studio.
Sounds good? Then apply!
You must be legally authorised to work in the UK without restrictions. Please do not apply for more than one job or location. If you wish to be considered for more than one studio please include this in a cover letter.