Senior Business Designer
We’re currently looking for Senior Business Designers to join our team in London.
Idean is a global design studio, operating in the realms of design, technology and business. At about 90 here in London, we’re a curious and caring mix of thinkers, makers and doers. We believe that companies need to transform their business of today while building their business of tomorrow. We create products, services and Beta Businesses from scratch as well as transforming things that already exist from the ground up. Idean is a part of Capgemini Invent, and some of our projects are joint efforts with our extended family and some are Idean solo teams.
Idean is a place where you can make real change at a truly enormous scale. We work with some of the biggest and most-exciting businesses across all sorts of industries – so if you care about impact, this is a place where you can make it. We’re helping clients launch Beta Businesses and challenging existing setups in Telco, Energy, Financial Services and Retail, amongst other sectors. One of these new businesses, SMARTY, recently became the best-rated mobile network on Trustpilot. Not bad for a baby business.
We take on projects of many shapes and sizes. They can be short or long, depending on the scope. And they can often involve working outside of the studio and travelling to different locations, in and around London or elsewhere in the UK. If you cannot travel please speak to us about this.
Idean is a place where you’ll meet lots of brainy people passionate about doing some of the best work of their lives. We also believe this can be done whilst having a laugh together and going home on time. Our team have written a bunch of articles about their work and life here at Idean over on our blog.
More about the role
We work with our clients to help them answer the big questions: Should they launch something new? What should it be? How are they going to win in a competitive market? Do they have the capability to launch it with their current team, or do they need to also build capability and/or partner with someone?
We do this by looking at the market, understanding our client’s strengths, weaknesses and goals, and most importantly customer needs and behaviours. We typically work with our client’s leadership team, and as early as possible in the process, meaning we have the scope to shape and challenge the project’s goals.
In short, we’re helping our clients rethink the future of their business and we need more incredibly smart, inquisitive and creative problem solvers to deliver great products and services.
Our Business Design team’s expertise helps to answer many of these questions, and alongside project work and building client relationships, our Business Designers are also responsible for further defining our strategy offer and approach.
- Work within or lead multi-disciplinary teams to design, prototype and build cutting-edge product and service propositions
- Use different methods to understand market opportunities
- Design and execute quantitative and qualitative customer research
- Synthesise and communicate research findings
- Perform competitor and trend analysis
- Quickly build domain expertise and understand the dynamics of an existing marketplace
- Understand the disruptive potential of technology, regulation, and societal changes and bring this into our work
- Understand and be able to clearly communicate the innovation process
- Clearly communicate strategic options along with their pros and cons
- Contribute to advancing Idean’s strategy approach
- Build strong relationships with the leadership team of FTSE 100 companies
- Collaborate with clients to successfully influence long-lasting change
- Comfortably challenge client opinions and assumptions
- Identify, shape and secure new business opportunities
- Take an active interest in our service design Community of Practice and industry and regularly share your work and ideas with the broader team and community.
More about this level
As a senior at Idean you have developed a core set of practice skills and you have the ability to define what does good look like across a number of practice approaches. You will play a hands-on role in the delivery of project activities and deliverables, e.g. workshops, presentations and feedback sessions, and your outputs will also include high quality work for your given practice with minimal guidance and oversight. You will develop trusted client relationships and lead activities and client interactions related to your practice area. You will play a key role in maintaining the project plan and you may play the project lead role on small projects; you will be able to prioritise your work accordingly as well as identify dependencies related to your work and the broader plan, and help manage these with the team. You will have an emerging set of team management skills and this will include spotting performance issues and helping to manage these, coaching more junior members of the team, and initiating feedback activities. You will identify ways to work on your personal development and actively participate in growing and advancing your Community of Practice and the studio.
- Developed and tested product and service propositions
- Ideally won funding to take a project onto the next phase
- Used tools like Business Model Canvas
- A strong understanding of the design process and modern development practices
- Experience of using a variety of research techniques
- The drive to deliver great work
- The instinct to recognise when something doesn’t work
- The drive to proactively identify and implement improvements to the way we work
- The ability and drive to engage in and encourage feedback activities
- Comfort reflecting on your individual performance and behaviours and, together with feedback from others, you will actively seek to continuously improve
- Passion about helping to create an environment where people can do great work
- Buckets of positivity and a “can do” attitude.
Don’t worry about being a 100% fit. That’s impossible nonsense, anyway. If this sounds like an interesting opportunity to you, and you think it could work, let’s chat.
What to expect from our application process
Standard stuff, really. First, we'll take a look at your application and you’ll hear from us within a couple of weeks. If you look like a possible fit for the role, then we’ll invite you to have a chat, in-person or on the phone. After that, there will be two interviews, perhaps with a task, depending on the role you’re applying for. There are no robots screening CVs here, so we apologise if it takes a little longer than expected.
A challenging, creative and supportive working environment is important to us. We’ve put a lot of thought into our studio space and how we grow and support our team. Our policies on mental health and parental responsibilities, and more, are designed to work for our people. While we strive to be as inclusive and forward-thinking as humanly possible, we also know we can always do better. The point is, we’re keen to talk about and accommodate any need that helps you get good work done while enjoying a quality work-life balance.
- Competitive salary
- Company pension contribution of 6%
- AXA private medical insurance, which includes Stronger Minds mental health support
- Group Income Protection (50% level cover)
- Life Assurance (2x level cover)
- 25 days of holidays, plus additional days off during some of the winter holiday season (we close between Christmas Day and New Years Day), as well as bank holidays of course
- A tiered parental leave policy, which offers 12 or 18 weeks maternity full-pay and 4 weeks partner full-pay (dependant on your tenure)
- Access to our Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexible working programmes. There is no one model to fit all so feel free to talk to us about what you need
- Individual training budget for personal development
- Community of Practice get-togethers
- Healthy snacks and drinks in the studio, plus team lunch on a Friday
- All sorts of different social events, inside and outside of the studio.
Sounds good? Then apply!
You must be legally authorised to work in the UK without restrictions. Please do not apply for more than one job or location. If you wish to be considered for more than one studio please include this in a cover letter.