Lead Backend Developer
We’re currently looking for Lead Backend Developers to join our team in London.
Idean is a global design studio, operating in the realms of design, technology and business. At about 90 here in London, we’re a curious and caring mix of thinkers, makers and doers. We believe that companies need to transform their business of today while building their business of tomorrow. We create products, services and Beta Businesses from scratch as well as transforming things that already exist from the ground up. Idean is a part of Capgemini Invent, and some of our projects are joint efforts with our extended family and some are Idean solo teams.
Idean is a place where you can make real change at a truly enormous scale. We work with some of the biggest and most-exciting businesses across all sorts of industries – so if you care about impact, this is a place where you can make it. We’re helping clients launch Beta Businesses and challenging existing setups in Telco, Energy, Financial Services and Retail, amongst other sectors. One of these new businesses, SMARTY, recently became the best-rated mobile network on Trustpilot. Not bad for a baby business.
We take on projects of many shapes and sizes. They can be short or long, depending on the scope. And they can often involve working outside of the studio and travelling to different locations, in and around London or elsewhere in the UK. If you cannot travel please speak to us about this.
Idean is a place where you’ll meet lots of brainy people passionate about doing some of the best work of their lives. We also believe this can be done whilst having a laugh together and going home on time. Our team have written a bunch of articles about their work and life here at Idean over on our blog.
More about the role
In this Lead Backend Developer role you will be responsible for all aspects of solution development, including the overall design of the solution, the technical architecture and the code quality. We will provide you with a brilliant learning ground - the opportunity to experience a variety of work and coaching from our leadership team. And we’re one of the few consultancies delivering products to the market!
You’ll work across all stages of the product life cycle: from inception, to proof of concept, to full build, and then launch in market. The scope of our work and sectors is also as varied, ranging from building entire beta businesses to creating brand new mobile apps, within the biggest players across the telecoms, banking, travel and utilities industries, amongst many others. You’ll also work closely with our broader team of Designers, Product Managers, Technologists and QA’s to get to a fantastic result.
- Work with a lot of different technologies. We don’t have a set stack, although we lean towards open source frameworks and cloud services that let us get stuff done quickly. We’ve recently done some awesome work with React, Node.js and Ruby on Rails
- Deliver value to our clients as quickly as possible. In tech terms, this means we get stuff built and shipped and into customers hands as fast as we can. We’re not a team of perfectionists, and although we value good quality code highly, we’re a team of do-ers and shippers
- Work within and lead a multi-skilled technology team and broader project team
- Spend time reflecting on the work we’re doing and how we’re doing it. You’ll be an integral part of the development team and will help define “what good looks like” for the work we do. We’re an agile organisation with a strong culture of feedback and self-improvement.
More about this level
As a lead at Idean you will perform the project lead or lead practitioner role for your practice, depending on the size, complexity and needs of the project. You will provide input into or own project planning and set up to ensure that you and the team can do your best work. You will still play a hands-on role, however this will be balanced with leading others in their work, so you will shift away from some of the doing. You will be accountable for the quality of the work your team are delivering and you will take a leading role in identifying and comparing different approaches and methods to follow. You will play a leading role in identifying and managing project dependencies, including across activities outside of the immediate scope of the project. You will lead or coach a team made up of people from different practices and you will demonstrate a strong ability to collaborate with and lead people from other practice areas to achieve a brilliant outcome. You will be seen by the client project team and senior client stakeholders as a trusted expert practitioner and you will build strong trusted relationships with these groups, listening to their needs and effectively managing their expectations. You will work with the Director and Principal to identify opportunities to extend the current project or do other work with the client. You will actively participate and lead Community of Practice efforts, hiring activity for your practice and broader studio efforts.
- Excellent knowledge of Ruby on Rails. We do a lot of work with Ruby, and would be looking for someone with great experience in working with it
- An eye for detail and passion to make what we create shine. Our products have got to be functionally correct and they’ve also got to look good
- Passion and curiosity for the web and technology. We want to push ourselves and we want to stay current
- Excellent communication skills. We’re a highly collaborative bunch and recognise that teams, not individuals, ship products. We’re all responsible for the quality of the code and the success of the project
- The drive to deliver great work
- The instinct to recognise when something doesn’t work
- The drive to proactively identify and implement improvements to the way we work
- The ability and drive to engage in and encourage feedback activities
- Comfort reflecting on your individual performance and behaviours and, together with feedback from others, you will actively seek to continuously improve
- Passion about helping to create an environment where people can do great work
- Buckets of positivity and a “can do” attitude.
Don’t worry about being a 100% fit. That’s impossible nonsense, anyway. If this sounds like an interesting opportunity to you, and you think it could work, let’s chat.
What to expect from our application process
Standard stuff, really. First, we'll take a look at your application and you’ll hear from us within a couple of weeks. If you look like a possible fit for the role, then we’ll invite you to have a chat, in-person or on the phone. After that, there will be two interviews, perhaps with a task, depending on the role you’re applying for. There are no robots screening CVs here, so we apologise if it takes a little longer than expected.
A challenging, creative and supportive working environment is important to us. We’ve put a lot of thought into our studio space and how we grow and support our team. Our policies on mental health and parental responsibilities, and more, are designed to work for our people. While we strive to be as inclusive and forward-thinking as humanly possible, we also know we can always do better. The point is, we’re keen to talk about and accommodate any need that helps you get good work done while enjoying a quality work-life balance.
- Competitive salary
- Company pension contribution of 6%
- AXA private medical insurance, which includes Stronger Minds mental health support
- Group Income Protection (50% level cover)
- Life Assurance (2x level cover)
- 25 days of holidays, plus additional days off during some of the winter holiday season (we close between Christmas Day and New Years Day), as well as bank holidays of course
- A tiered parental leave policy, which offers 12 or 18 weeks maternity full-pay and 4 weeks partner full-pay (dependant on your tenure)
- Access to our Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexible working programmes. There is no one model to fit all so feel free to talk to us about what you need
- Individual training budget for personal development
- Community of Practice get-togethers
- Healthy snacks and drinks in the studio, plus team lunch on a Friday
- All sorts of different social events, inside and outside of the studio.
Sounds good? Then apply!
You must be legally authorised to work in the UK without restrictions. Please do not apply for more than one job or location. If you wish to be considered for more than one studio please include this in a cover letter.