We’re currently looking for Senior and Lead Full-Stack Developers to join our team in London.
Idean is a global design studio, operating in the realms of design, technology and business. At about 80 here in London, we’re a curious and caring mix of thinkers, makers and doers. We believe that companies need to transform their business of today while building their business of tomorrow. We create products, services and Beta Businesses from scratch as well as transforming things that already exist from the ground up. Idean is a part of Capgemini Invent, and some of our projects are joint efforts with our extended family and some are Idean solo teams.
Idean is a place where you can make real change at a truly enormous scale. We work with some of the biggest and most-exciting businesses across all sorts of industries – so if you care about impact, this is a place where you can make it. We’re helping clients launch Beta Businesses and challenging existing setups in Telco, Energy, Financial Services and Retail, amongst other sectors. One of these new businesses, SMARTY, recently became the best-rated mobile network on Trustpilot. Not bad for a baby business. Our team has written a bunch of articles about their work and life here at Idean over on our blog.
We take on projects of many shapes and sizes. They can be short or long, depending on the scope. And they can often involve working outside of the studio and travelling to different locations, in and around London or elsewhere in the UK. However right now, like most companies, we’re embracing remote working. We plan to start getting back into our studio from September and then working between here and our homes. If you cannot travel please speak to us about this (you are able to opt-out).
More about the role
In this Full-Stack Developer role you will help with all aspects of solution development, including the overall design of the solution, the technical architecture, infrastructure and the code quality. We will provide you with a brilliant learning ground - the opportunity to experience a variety of work and coaching from our Leadership team. And we’re one of the few consultancies delivering products to the market!
You’ll work across all stages of the product life cycle: from inception, to proof of concept, to full build, and then launch in market. The scope of our work and sectors is also as varied, ranging from building entire beta businesses to creating brand new mobile apps, within the biggest players across the telecoms, banking, travel and utilities industries, amongst many others. You’ll also work closely with our broader team of Designers, Product Managers, Technologists and QA’s to get to a fantastic result.
- Work with a lot of different technologies. We don’t have a set technology stack, although we lean towards open source frameworks and cloud services that let us get stuff done quickly. We’ve recently done some awesome work with React, Node.js and Ruby and Rails
- Deliver value to our clients as quickly as possible. In tech terms, this means we get good quality code and platforms built and shipped and into customers hands as fast as we can
- Work within a multi-skilled technology team and broader project team; we’re a team of do-ers and shippers
- Spend time reflecting on the work we’re doing and how we’re doing it. You’ll be an integral part of the development team and will help define “what good looks like” for the work we do. We’re an agile organisation with a strong culture of feedback and self-improvement.
- A wealth of experience of software integration patterns, APIs and approaches to integrating with legacy systems
- Comfort advocating DevOps concepts and are expert in the tools and technologies that make them possible
- An eye for detail and passion to make what we create shine. Our products have got to be functionally correct and they’ve also got to look good
- Passion and curiosity for the web and technology. We want to push ourselves and we want to stay current
- Excellent communication skills and you enjoy working in teams. We’re a highly collaborative bunch and recognise that teams, not individuals, ship products. We’re together responsible for the quality of the code and the success of the project
- The drive to proactively identify and implement improvements to the way we work
- Experience of managing and leading teams
- Comfort leading sessions with senior clients
- The instinct to recognise when something doesn’t work
- The ability to manage up and initiate difficult conversations with the project leadership team
- Passion about helping to create an environment where people can do great work
- Buckets of positivity and a “can do” attitude.
What to expect from our application process
Standard stuff, really. First, if we like what we see within your application, you’ll hear from us within a couple of weeks and you’ll be invited to have a chat by video-hangout or phone with a member of our Talent team. After this, there will be two interviews with members of this Community of Practice, perhaps with a task, depending on the role you’re applying for. There are no robots screening CVs here, so we apologise if it takes a little longer than expected.
A challenging, creative and supportive working environment is important to us. We’ve put a lot of thought into our work environment and studio space and how we support our team. Our policies on mental health and parental responsibilities, and more, are designed to work for our people. While we strive to be as forward-thinking as humanly possible, we also know we can always do better. The point is, we’re keen to talk about and accommodate any need that helps you get good work done while enjoying a quality work-life balance.
- Generous and competitive salary
- Company pension contribution of 6%
- Group Income Protection
- Life Assurance
- AXA healthcare self cover
- 25 days of holidays, plus additional days off at Christmas (we close between Christmas Day and New Years Day)
- A tiered parental leave policy, which offers 12 or 18 weeks maternity full pay and 4 weeks partner full pay (dependant on your tenure)
- Access to our Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexible working programmes. There is no one model to fit all so feel free to talk to us about what you need
- Individual training budget for personal development
- Community of Practice get-togethers and a weekly studio lunch and learn
- Weekly Company Updates and social events, in the studio and remote
- Quarterly Company Days. We take ourselves out of the studio regularly. It's our time together to learn, create plans and make sure everyone is involved in where we are going. It's also just a lot of fun.
Sounds good? Then apply!
You must be legally authorised to work in the UK without restrictions. Please do not apply for more than one job or location. If you wish to be considered for more than one studio please include this in a cover letter.